Pages

Friday, February 01, 2008

It's a Good Thing I'm Pregnant

Have you ever woken up with the distinct feeling that perhaps today is the day your family won't need you any longer? I didn't wake up that way this morning, but maybe if I had I would have been more prepared for what happened while I was making lunch.

I was making Tortilla soup for the family (a terribly simple rainy-day meal), but my independent 3 year old really, really wanted a tuna salad sandwich. (I didn't sleep well last night due to the NON-STOP dreaming of those dumb people trying to get away from the Others and off the island) so I was a bit crabby and didn't have a fight in me.  So I said, "Sure. Why not."  But then she insisted on making it all by herself.  So again, I said, "Sure. Why not."  I helped her a bit with opening the can and scooping out the mayo, but she really did the rest on her own.  Then she got the bread out and slapped some tuna on it.  Before I knew what was happening she had eaten half of her sandwich.  

It was at this point that I began to realize how easily she did that for herself.  Then I panicked further realizing that by doing it herself, she didn't need me.  Oh!!  The agony of realization!!!  Don't get me wrong.  I am a lazymom through and through, and I have been training her whole life for this very moment, but when it finally came, it took me by surprise.

Then I looked down and remembered I'm pregnant and starting all over with a helpless babe.  Phew!  That was a close call.  

1 comment:

  1. They grow up so fast, don't they? I read this blog yesterday, but had to tend to the kids so I didn't have a chance to comment...but it's funny because an hour after I read your blog, Caleb wanted a snack and I was busy changing diapers (of the kids I watch). Normally Caleb still wants me to help him with things-everything-even if he can/should do it by himself. When I walked into the kitchen he had poured himself some cereal with milk and was sitting down eating it. I knew exactly what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails